Second Presbyterian Church
318 E. 55th Street, Kansas City, Missouri 64113
The Second Presbyterian Church of Kansas City was organized in 1865 and located in a small church building at 809-11 Wyandotte Street. In 1882 a new church building was erected on the northwest corner of 13th and Central Streets. On April 4, 1900 a great fire destroyed the Convention Hall across the street and also burned out the church. A new building was erected in 1902 on the southeast corner of 15th Street and Broadway. In 1915 the present side chapel or south wing of the church was erected at the present location, the northwest corner of 55th and Oak streets. The sanctuary of Second Presbyterian Church was completed in 1917. The tower was enlarged and chimes were added in 1924. The educational wing was completed in 1926. A remodeling of the sanctuary with a new organ, rebuilt chancel and stained glass windows was completed in 1949.
All of the stained glass widows in Second Presbyterian Church are from the studio of Henry Lee Willett except for the “Ford” window (The Good Samaritan) which is by Tiffany Studios,and the “Tough” window ( Dorcas) which is by J and R Lamb . Both of these windows were installed in 1917.
A fuller discussion of The Second Presbyterian Church and its stained glass windows may be found on the Second Presbyterian Church blog page.